Monday, December 12, 2011

Discover Where You Are Going


Having a life worth living takes patience, time and lots of learning. We are usually in a hurry to arrive at a destination, often at the expense of the journey. Whether it is with hair, career, marriage, children, becoming fixated on the final result robs us of the joy of the journey. When I started cosmetology school, my hair was finally where I wanted it. (Note: at the time I did not realize this. It's only in looking back on the pictures that I can see.) The process had taken about three years, well, really much longer because I first had to discover the look I wanted. Discovering what you want is just as much a part of the process as anything else. Sometimes eliminating what won't work first is necessary. Before realizing I wanted to attend cosmetology school and help others embrace their natural waves and curls, I attended manicuring school and paralegal school. Although I have never worked as a paralegal or a manicurist, my education has been very valuable. Nothing is ever wasted. Feeling like I still hadn't found what I was looking for, I embarked on a voyage of self discovery. After reading an article in Fast Company magazine about make-up artist Bobby Brown, I began to contemplate this question: 'If today were your birthday and you could do anything you want, what would it be?'  According to the article, Bobby Brown was home from college venting to her mother about how much she hated school. Her mother asked her that question, and Bobby Brown replied, 'Probably go to the mall and play with the make-up at a department store.' Her mother told her she could probably pursue a degree in theatrical make-up.  So, she did.


What are your dreams and goals? What do you hope to accomplish in your life? What is your desire for your hair? Are you in transition? Is your hair in transition? Embrace your life and all aspects of it!!! It is yours and nobody else can live it or determine where you are going or what you will become. Remember it is never too late to make a change and be what you might have been.



No comments:

Post a Comment